Books I have purchased
Join us for News, commentary, fun, and a learning experience
I saw lots the conversations about doing math/equations now that Amazon has released KF8. Lots of negative replys to lots of "Can we do it yet questions. So I spent the entire day yesterday attempting to get nice equations into a KF8 document. No joy! But today I got it RIGHT!
Let me start by saying I am certainly NOT an expert. I don't know html, or CSS. I am a writer, a publisher, and in a previous life I do economic research. I have literally hundreds of research papers on Welfare and Income distribution filled with complex math. But all of this work was done in a program called LaTeX. So to start this research quest I translated a simple LaTeX document into Word's 2007 format.
Skipping over all the failures and getting straight to success!
In Word 2007 save the document. This results in a file suffix .docx.
Now saving this once more as a .doc file results in a message from Word that your equations will be translated into picture files. And of course Word does not have the good graces to let you know what format those files will be.
Once you have your .doc file save one more time as "filtered html", which results in a "filename.htm" which you can use as input to MobiPocket Creator. This is my only choice since I don't yet understand how to use KindleGen.
Now the real "fun" begins.
Open MobiPocket Creator and import your .htm file. When you do this MobiPocket will create a dirctory called "filename_files". In this directory you will find the pictures which Word created when you saved your original .docx file as a .doc file. BUT these pictures are useless for inclusion into your KF8 .prc because they are the wrong format and the dpi is way too small.
You need to take this little pictures and put them into a graphics manipulation program. I used Photoshop and ACDSee for the following. As I don't know which pictures that MobiPocket is grabbing for inclusion into the document, and becuase at this point I was very frustrated......I reformated ALL the images in the "filename_files" directory.
Amazon's new publishing Guidelines recommend a dpi of 300 for images. So I took each file (both gif and png) put them into photoshop and using image size increased from 72/96 to 300. Don't worry they do not become too large because the are much too small to begin with.
I then save the resized images.
Now in MobiPocket Creator when you click "build" it will pull the resized pictures. Below is the resulting .prc file. First in Kindle Previewer 2.3:
Next in Kindle for PC:
This is not elegant. This just WORKS!
You may reach me easiest by mailing me at:
I am also check:
Once each morning and evening